Martijn Dekker <mart...@inlv.org> wrote:

> Re: https://github.com/att/ast/issues/71
>
> Consider this test script:
>
> (set -o posix) 2>/dev/null && set -o posix
> emulate sh 2>/dev/null  # for zsh
> for var in 'a-c' '!a'; do
>       case b in
>       ( ["$var"] )    echo 'quirk' ;;
>       ( [$var] )      echo 'no quirk' ;;
>       esac
> done
>
> Most shells output 'no quirk' for both values of 'var', but AT&T ksh93
> outputs 'quirk' for both, as does zsh 5.2 and earlier (zsh-as-sh changed
> to match the majority in 5.3). Now one of the current ksh93 lead
> developers says this does not look like a bug.

Whom do you call "current ksh93 lead developers"?

> Does POSIX specify anything, either way, regarding the effect of shell
> quoting within glob bracket patterns? I can't find any relevant text
> under "2.13 Pattern Matching Notation" or anything it references, so
> clarification would be appreciated.

Given that ksh88 and the original Bourne Shell both return 'no quirk' for both
values, this is a strong hint that ksh93 is wrong.

Given that "bosh" returned "quirk" for the first one before I fixed a bug in
the gmatch() implementation, it is highly probable that ksh93 has a bug in it's
pattern matcher.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.net                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin