Date:        Tue, 8 Jan 2019 23:01:05 +0000
    From:        Stephane Chazelas <stephane.chaze...@gmail.com>

  | aliases come from csh which did not do that expansion after
  | trailing blank thing.

Actually from ashell, thje precursor of csh - that I knew, though csh
aliases were quite a different thing, closer in some respects to sh
functions than sh aliases (but like much of csh, it really all was a
bit of a mess.)

It was how they moved to sh that I don't know the history of, as (being
a BSD user, whcih never really moved from the 7th edn Bourne sh as
its /bin/sh until licensing issues caused ash to appear, I never
really followed what was happing in the non-BSD world).