Robert Elz <k...@munnari.oz.au> wrote, on 09 Jan 2019:

> There are just a couple of minor points that I have with your
> wording, one where I think a little more clarity is needed, and
> one where your wording isn't quite correct.
>

>   | ... change to:<blockquote>
>
>   | After a TOKEN has been delimited,
>
> This is where I think a little extra clarity would help, and
> I'd change that to be
>
>       After a token of type TOKEN [xref XCU 2.10.1] has
>       been delimited,
>
> just to make it clear that TOKEN is a specific type of token,
> and not just a weird typographical convention (it helps readers
> interpret the meaning more easily).

The sentence before this (at the end of 2.3) is "Once a token is
delimited, it is categorized as required by the grammar in [xref to
2.10]", so I'd like to go with:

    After a token has been categorized as type TOKEN (see [xref to 2.10.1]),

>   | If the value of the alias replacing the TOKEN ends in a <blank> that would
>   | be unquoted after substitution, and optionally if it ends in a <blank>
> that
>   | would be quoted after substitution, the shell shall check the next TOKEN
> in
>   | the input for alias substitution;
>
> This is where the wording is incorrect, it is not the next TOKEN, which
> would imply simply skipping intermediate operators, etc, but the next
> token, if and only if, it is a TOKEN, that it is considered for alias
> substitution.
[...]
> So I would change
>       shall check the next TOKEN in the input
> into
>       shall check the next token in the input, if it is a TOKEN,

Good catch - I'll make that change.

I've also just noticed that 2.10.1 and 2.10.2 have TOKEN in bold everywhere,
so I suppose I should do the same.

--
Geoff Clare <g.cl...@opengroup.org>
The Open Group, Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading, RG1 1AX, England