Chet Ramey <chet.ra...@case.edu> wrote:

> > I don't see that we should do this, but id you like to be able to reably
> > get a
> >
> >     ``NOEXEC'' or ``NOTFOUND''
> >
> > from expanding "$/", there is a need for interprocess communication unless
> > you
> > use vfork() for that specific command.
>
> What is "$/"? Nobody, with perhaps the exception of bosh, implements that.

This has been proposed by Don Cragun a few years ago when we had a waitid()
related discussion where I introduced the ${.sh.code}, ${.sh.status}, ...
that exist in bosh since 5 years. $/ is intended as something similar to $?
but with better usability.

Since you most likely develop on Linux, which is a platform with broken
waitid(), you probably have not come to that point before, but SVr4 introduced
waitid() in 1988 to be able to get the full 32 bits from exit() and UNOS (the
first UNIX clone from 1980) has already something similar.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.net                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
    joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/