On 3/11/20 12:15 PM, Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:

>> All shells I am aware of print foo and bar
>
> The discussion seems to have confirmed that this is the general existing
> practice, and not just in the few cases I tested, but IMO only a shell
> implementer could see the suggested behaviour of these examples as
> baffling, based on the wording of the standard (not to mention "man sh",
> etc, so I won't).

If it's the wording that implies possible behavior that no shell
implements, let's fix the wording.

> The question is what, if any, rewording of the standard should be made.
> There are plenty of choices for better designed scripting languages, so
> arguably making the specification agree with existing practice would be
> an acceptable resolution. The example of DR 842 for 'break' and
> 'continue' shows that this should not be seen as an unnecessary change.

We can use 842 as a model for the changes. Someone needs to propose new
wording that's comprehensive enough to cover the different cases.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    c...@case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/