On Tue, 21 Apr 2020, Robert Elz wrote:

> Probably not, it was an interpretation of the 1992 standard, and so
> was probably not earlier than 1993 (I see some 1996 copyrights, but wjether
> that's for the specific interpretation or just the collection I don't know).

I received that interpretation response in an email from Andrew Josey
dated Tue, 18 Nov 1997 13:47:59 +0000 (having sent the original
interpretation request in an email dated Sat, 4 Oct 1997 22:21:55 +0100).
After the response text that I linked to in my previous message, that
email says:

Notes to the editor (not part of this interpretation):

For item B above,
add the phrase "other than alias substitution" on line 58-59
after "recursively"  worded appropriately.

Forwarded to Interpretations group: October 8 1997
Proposed resolution: Oct 14 1997
Finalised: Nov 18 1997

[and then the email continues with a WG15 Status Block]

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com