Hi,

What is the MANUFACTURER aka VENDOR field in a canonicalization triple
meant to contain?

My understanding is that it shall describe the vendor/manufacturer of a
board or better the board family, being used to guess/preset settings
for a specific setups, primarily in near-hardware packages (e.g.
binutils).
I know the VENDOR field is rarely used at all, therefore the value won't
matter in most cases, but as we're  at clarifying canonicalization, this
could become an issue.

I am asking, because i386-pc-linux distributors have started to set this
field to their name for the gnu-toolchains distributed with their
distributions (IMHO, an uncredible decision ;).

However, a PC still remains a PC and is not a SuSE, RH, Debian or
whatsoever machine.

Imagine the consequences of:
./configure --build=i386-suse-linux-gnu --host=i386-redhat-linux-gnu

Ralf.

--
Ralf Corsepius
Forschungsinstitut fuer Anwendungsorientierte Wissensverarbeitung (FAW)