On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> > I think those configuration triplets are wrong.  I think they should
> > be something like `i386-pc-linuxsuse7.0-gnu' or
> > `i386-pc-linux-gnususe7.0'.
>
> It it not better. "linux" should have the kernel version at the end, as
> this is much more relevant. Maybe "gnu" should be GLibc version:
>
> i386-pc-linux2.3.99_pre5-gnu2.1.3_pre3

You guys are plumb crazy.  Maybe we don't really need Autoconf anymore
since we can just encode everything we need in the output of
config.guess.  Everyone is moving to Linux, after all, so there is
really no need to know anything more than the kernel version, the name
of the distribution, the processor family, and the C library version.
Once we eliminate all those annoying feature tests, then 'configure'
will run a whole lot faster.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]