Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 13:52:53 +0200
   From: Ralf Corsepius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   What is the MANUFACTURER aka VENDOR field in a canonicalization triple
   meant to contain?

It normally contains the manufacturer or vendor of the hardware.

   I am asking, because i386-pc-linux distributors have started to set this
   field to their name for the gnu-toolchains distributed with their
   distributions (IMHO, an uncredible decision ;).

   However, a PC still remains a PC and is not a SuSE, RH, Debian or
   whatsoever machine.

   Imagine the consequences of:
   ./configure --build=i386-suse-linux-gnu --host=i386-redhat-linux-gnu

I think those configuration triplets are wrong.  I think they should
be something like `i386-pc-linuxsuse7.0-gnu' or
`i386-pc-linux-gnususe7.0'.

Ian