Hi Divya,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Divya Neelagiri <divne...@umail.iu.edu> wrote:
> I need avogadro to perform minimization and some other operations on
> proteins.

I'm not sure how you would perform any operations without the GUI, as
there is no real command line interface to Avogadro. I think your best
bet is to use the openbabel utilities. For instance, obminimize will
perform a geometry relaxation using the same forcefield
implementations that Avogadro uses:

http://openbabel.org/wiki/Obminimize

There are quite a few others that may help with the other tasks you need:

http://openbabel.org/wiki/Guides

Another option that I use with our remote clusters is to forward an X
connection over SSH by using the -X or -Y options to ssh. This will
launch the avogadro GUI on your workstation, even though it's actually
running on the remote cluster.

Hope this helps,

Dave