Hi there,

I've been working on adding yaehmop features to Avogadro. The work for Dr.
Jochen Autschbach's class is pretty much complete (they are going to be
trying it out), and I wanted to package the program on Windows, Mac, and
Linux. Fortunately, I already know how to do it on Windows.

For Linux, after compiling avogadro, you can type "make package" and it
will create several packages (including a shell script) that can be used to
get avogadro on your system. Unfortunately, this package does not come with
the OpenBabel shared libraries, so any action that requires them will fail
on a system that does not have OpenBabel installed and its resources in the
$PATH. There isn't some kind of command that will include the OpenBabel
shared libraries when making the package, is there? I have tried just
copying the shared object libraries into the directory, and it fixes some
problems but not all (it doesn't crash saying that it failed to find
external library functions, but the functions don't exactly work - for
example, when reading a cif file, it fails and prints that it failed to
read it).

For Mac (Geoff, you might be able to answer this), you can use the "make
package" command as well. However, I fear this has the same issue as the
Linux "make package." I noticed that we have .dmg files that we release for
Mac builds. How are those created? I assume they include the OpenBabel
shared libraries and .txt files that are needed for OpenBabel operations.

Thanks,
Patrick