To place an object3D at scenespace coordinates where the user mouse hits a face of a given geometry when pressed
You just have to set a MouseEvent3D on your Sphere object.

like this:

mySphere.addOnMouseDown(myMouseDownHandler);

private function myMouseDownHandler(e:MouseEvent3D):void
{
trace("I can place some 3d object at :"+e.sceneX+", "+e.sceneY+", "+e.sceneZ);
}

its all in the doc :))
search in doc at MouseEvent3D to get more info on the properties available in this event object.

Fabrice