In a message dated 8/28/2008 4:54:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> I read somewhere that names like "Camara", "Santos", "De Jesus" were
> surnames that were given to children who were abandoned or "of the wheel" -
> "da
> roda".  I did find in my own genealogy in the north of Portugal, that a baby
> was
> left on an ancestors doorstep and that ancestor took the baby to the church
> and he was named Jose dos Santos.  My ancestor's surname was Cunha.  The
> godparents to this child were Cunha's daughter and her husband.  None of them
> had
> Santos as a surname.

In the parish of Bretanha on S. Miguel, one can always tell a foundling by
the strange names. Often these children were given first names that nobody else
in the village had at the time. I often smile while scrolling down baptismal
records and come upon very unique first names. When I read the record--sure
enough--an exposto. Dos Santos-- of the saints-- might have reflected the
feeling
of those who fostered him: God only knows who he belongs too, he is Joey of
the saints. De Jesus would have had a similar pious sentiment. In villages like
Bretanha there were few "real" expostos. Pregnancies were hard to hide in
such small venues. People often suspected or knew who José dos Santos really
was.
There was always a village lass who suddenly seemed to have lost a lot of
weight over night. A lot of those "expostos" were abandoned at the doors of
(and
fostered by) close blood relatives.

As for "da Câmara," the name in S. Miguel is usually either that of a
descendant of Zarco, or a foundling. Da Câmara, as in Câmara Municipal, roughly
translated when given as a surname to a child, (e.g., José da Câmara) would
indicate that he was an abandoned child, a ward of the state (i.e., da Câmara).

John Miranda Raposo