Hi Margaret
Do you think this was an adoption as we normally think of it or that
Joao is being recognized by Angelo as his son? In my mind they are two
different things.
Thanks for your help!
Kathy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Visit the Azores GenWeb Project:
http://homepage.mac.com/kmacardoza/Genealogy/azoresindex.html
Climb my Family Tree:
http://homepage.mac.com/kmacardoza/Genealogy/Kathy/index.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Jul 21, 2009, at 5:13 AM, Margaret Vicente wrote:
> Hi Kathy,
>
> It is an adoption. Joao Marcelino, father incognito, and son of
> Umbelina Rosa, was born in this village on the 14th day of June,
> 1829 was adopted by Angelino Vieira da Costa, proprietor, widower,
> natural and living in this village. There's more about the
> proceedings witnessed by the notary etc.
>
>
> Hope this helps.
> Margaret Vicente
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Kathy Cardoza <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I'm researching the records for Topo, Sao Jorge on the CCA site. I
> came across a couple of records that have me stumped. I just don't
> quite know what they are. If someone could take a quick look at them
> to see what you think, I'd really appreciate it. They are so
> different from any other baptismal record I've ever seen.
>
> From Baptisms:
>
> http://pg.azores.gov.pt/drac/cca/biblioteca_digital/SJCTB1860-1869/SJCTB1860-1869_item1/P215.html
>
> This Joao Marcelino Vieira da Costa is a resident of Brazil. The
> record is dated 2 Jan 1869. It mentions his birth date of 14 Jun
> 1829 in Topo, which I found that record (see the next link.) I know
> from his baptismal record that he was baptized in Topo. So, what is
> this? Is he being adopted? His mother, Umbelina Rosa, was my
> husband's 3GG. This is the second (that I know of) child she had out
> of wedlock.
>
> Who is Angelo Antonio Vieira da Costa that is mentioned in this
> record? Is he saying HE was Joao's father? Is this a legitimization?
> He is also mentioned in the margin notes of this next record (link
> below), which is Joao's baptismal record.
>
> Umbelina's other child out of wedlock was my husband's 2GG, Baltasar
> Freitas Vieira da Costa ........interesting as it is the same
> surname of the above Angelo!
>
> http://pg.azores.gov.pt/drac/cca/biblioteca_digital/SJCTB1828-1840/SJCTB1828-1840_item1/P23.html
>
> Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.
>
> Kathy
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Visit the Azores GenWeb Project:
> http://homepage.mac.com/kmacardoza/Genealogy/azoresindex.html
> Climb my Family Tree:
> http://homepage.mac.com/kmacardoza/Genealogy/Kathy/index.htm
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>
>
>
>
> >
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]. Follow the confirmation directions when
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---