I received an email from a woman in the local genealogy society where I
live.  It's about a program called "Transcript" by Jacob Boerema from the
Netherlands.
http://www.jacobboerema.nl/en/Freeware.htm

It's a free program (or 15 euros if you want a few extra bells and whistles
or wish to donate).  It takes the handwritten script and types it out for
you.

The entire text of the email I received came from FamHist Blog (which I
don't subscribe to):
http://famhist.wordpress.com/2011/01/26/transcript-for-genealogy-transcriptions/

NOTE:  The name of the program is TRANSCRIPT.  NOT TRANSLATION.  If it scans
a birth that says, "Manuel, filho legitimito de Jose da Silva e Maria do
Rosario" you're going to get
"Manuel, filho legitimito de Jose da Silva e Maria do Rosario" TYPED out
instead of written out in handwriting.

I've sent the message on to Dick Eastman and asked him to review it.  He's
traveling, so I don't know if or how much time he can put into exploring
this program.  If I have time later today or this weekend (not so likely!),
I'll play around with it.

My questions (and for those who are willing to play around with it and post
what you find - I'll forward them to Dick Eastman):
1) What is it doing with the diacritics? (Conceição)
2) What is it doing to the superscript abbreviations?  M.el for Manuel (the
"el" after the M would be raised).
3) What will it do with some of that REALLY BAD handwriting?
4) What will it do with bleed through?  Worm holes?

Please reply with other questions and what you found and liked or disliked
about the program (as it pertains to the Portuguese genealogist).
-- 
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas,
Achada

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to