There is no reference to cause of death and such references seldom appear,
at least as far as pre-1900 church records go. I have seen references like,
"died at sea," "fell off a cliff," "died in front of his house where he was
found."

I have a Francisco de Arruda married with Maria Vieira in Achada Grande Nov
18, 1697. He is son of Antonio de Arruda and Maria Alvares. She is daughter
of Miguel de Paiva and Brites Vieira. Francisco is native of Algarvia, then
part of Nordestinho but resident of Feiteiras, Achada Grande. The others
are natives and residents of Feteiras, Achada Grande. They are probably
related; while the first marriage of Manuel Arruda may be missing, you may
still be able to prove the relationship by digging up some baptisms.

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-ND-ACHADA-C-1690-1728/SMG-ND-ACHADA-C-1690-1728_item1/P23.html

JR