Sammie,

Do you know from which island your great-grandfater was?  That will help

NAME:   ManoelFaria
BIRTH:  abt 1877 - Azores;St Michael
DEPARTURE:      Mlichaels
ARRIVAL:        2 Nov 1907 - New York, New York
RESIDENCE:      Azores, Autonomous Regions of Portugal


NAME:   ManoelPFaria
BIRTH:  abt 1877
DEPARTURE:      St Michaels, Azores, Portugal
ARRIVAL:        9 Jan 1907 - Boston, Massachusetts
RESIDENCE:      United States of America



On 4/9/2014 11:50 AM, S. Faria Lepre wrote:
Hi Cheri,
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I just assumed that since my subject heading said California, people would know that's where I was talking about. Port Costa is a census-designated place in Contra Costa County, CA. Manuel was living there in 1900 apparently. After that, most of my records had the family living in Richmond, Contra Costa County, CA.

Thanks too for the clarification on the name. I figured that Manoel was the Portuguese spelling. Funny, last night after posting this, I was digging around in ship passenger lists and found a Manoel, but whoever transcribed the information thought the "o" in his name was an "s" and so now there are several records that say "Mansel" Faria! All the name spelling changes sure makes it hard to track a specific person! :)

I found several records then in the ship passenger lists, with many Manoel's and many surname variations like de Faria, Ferreira, Pereira, Farie, Farria, and Farias. The only one who was close to the age my Manuel was said to have been during immigration was a Mansel (Manoel) Faria who was 18 (year of birth abt.1875) and on the ship Peninsular which arrived in NY, NY 9 May 1893. He was a laborer and from Fayal, Azores. He was going to Fall River, MA. The dates are a little off from my Manuel: my records had his immigration year as 1894 when he was 17, and his year of birth as 1877. The dates and ages from the ship's record I found last night are off about a year or two, so not sure if I have the right person still.

I also don't know if Manuel was on a ship that went directly from the Azores to San Francisco or if he was one of many Manuel Faria's who went to Boston and then to Fall River, MA.
Sam


On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 11:11:09 PM UTC-5, Cheri Mello wrote:

    Sammie,

    Since you are writing to a worldwide audience, you're going to
    have to put more clarification on some places.
    No clue where Port Costa is.

    At the time your ancestor was born, the spelling was Manoel.  He
    probably learned to modernize after his immigration.

    Feria would be a non-Portuguese person guessing how to spell Faria.

    Many immigrated to the eastern ports:  New York, Boston,
    Providence, New Bedford.  Then many went overland to CA.  A few
    did go around the horn and immigrated through San Francisco.  Some
    went to HI first then CA.

    A 30+ pages of "how to" can be found on the Azores Gen Web here:
    http://goo.gl/4CHqo1


    On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 6:04 PM, S. Faria Lepre <[email protected]
    <javascript:>> wrote:

        Hi,
        I'm researching my family and keep hitting a brick wall trying
        to pin down the right person....My great-grandfather was
        Manuel P. Faria. I've also seen his name spelled Manual, and
        Manoel. I've also found records on Ancestry where our last
        name was spelled Feria. I have a U.S. Census record from 1900
        which has him listed as Manuel Feria, born 1877, married to
        Emma Feria (Her maiden name was Enos), Marriage year 1900.
        Manuel was 23 at the time of that census and living in Port
        Costa. Immigration year is listed as 1894 and he was 17 years
        old at that time. I have searched and searched. There are a
        lot of Manuel Faria's out there! I cannot find a record of his
        birth, his marriage, or his immigration. His birth year
        changes depending on what record I'm looking at: it varies
        from 1876-1878, as does the immigration date: 1894-1895. I
        found more census records on him and Emma from 1910 and 1920,
        but in the 1930 census the head of household becomes John S.
        Faria, and by the 1940 census, Emma is the sole head of
        household. I cannot find a death record on Manuel to explain
        this, and I'm perplexed as to who John S. may be. I cannot
        find anything on Emma Enos either, at least not the one I'm
        looking for. Manuel and Emma had 9 children and all appeared
        to have been born in Contra Costa, CA: Manuel George, Lawrence
        Daniel (my grandfather), Mary Evelyn/Evelyn Mary, John H.,
        Anthony, Philomena, Margaret, Frances, and Roseanne/Rose.

        I also have a question about immigration. When people left the
        Azores during that immigration I gave previously (1894-1895),
        did they always go to Boston or New York or other eastern
        port, or were there ships that took immigrants directly to
        California?

        Thanks so much if anyone can help out here or for any ideas.
        I'm just starting out and already I'm confused! ;)
        Sammie
-- For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No
        Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit
        this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores
        <http://groups.google.com/group/Azores>. Click in the blue
        area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take
        you to "Edit my membership."
        ---
        You received this message because you are subscribed to the
        Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
        To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
        it, send an email to [email protected] <javascript:>.
        Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores
        <http://groups.google.com/group/azores>.




-- Cheri Mello
    Listowner, Azores-Gen
    Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das
    Tainhas, Achada

--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your 
Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue 
area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my 
membership."
--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to