Hello Nancy (or is it Nancy Jean?)

Now I feel a bit foolish. It's not many books; it's just one. It's part 
fiction, set on the island of Pico, and part a lot of background 
information about the Azores. The title is Saudade, but it's written in 
English. The author is Miriam Winthrop. I think it's really interesting.

Despite the disappointment over not having cemeteries I could look around, 
I still want to visit the islands--particularly Santa Maria (and, since 
reading the book, Pico.) I'll look for those wooden cribs and take a few 
pictures myself! Thanks.

Liliana

On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:07:42 PM UTC-7, nancy jean baptiste wrote:

> Liliana,
>  
> I'd like to read some of the books you mention....names?
>  
> When I first looked in the cemetery in Candelaria for my ancestors there 
> were many names I recognized but there weren't many old graves. They were 
> however, very interesting with little wooden "cribs" built around them with 
> flowers inside and some had pictures of the deceased. I took some great 
> pictures because it was so uniquely charming and unlike anything I'd ever 
> seen!
>  
> Best,
> Nancy Jean
>  
> ------------------------------
> From: [email protected] <javascript:>
> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 17:59:18 -0700
> Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Bizarre...but is it true?
> To: [email protected] <javascript:>
>
> Liliana,
>
> Yes, the remains are dug up and put into a crypt (I think the correct word 
> is ossuary). The grave is then reused.  It has nothing to do with being 
> Catholic.  There is not enough room for all those bodies that have 
> populated the islands since the 1400s.  It's a necessity.  
>
> The only way the body remains is if the family pays a fee to keep the body 
> longer.  
>
> No, you won't find headstones.
>
> Cheri Mello
> Listowner, Azores-Gen
> Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das 
> Tainhas, Achada 
>
> -- 
> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the 
> right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my 
> membership."
> --- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Azores Genealogy" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to [email protected] <javascript:>.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.
>  

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to