I know in Switzerland the bones are put in the basement of a church. My friend 
got pictures through a broken window years ago. I can't remember how long the 
body stays in the grave before the bones are moved to the church. Apparently 
this happens a lot.
Sherry

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 22, 2014, at 6:05 PM, "\"E\" Sharp" <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Liliana,
> 
> Not sure about the Azores, but in other areas of Europe after a number of 
> years this is true.  My friends in Germany told me that if they wanted to 
> continue to have their father remain where he was, they could either pay 
> again or the area would be reused.  Not sure what they did with the remains - 
> not sure if he ever had a stone.  I am very lucky that my for my family 
> members in Croatia, they kept the stones and lined the perimeter of the 
> cemetery with the old stones so I was able to find many of my family's stones 
> which, of course, I took pictures of.
> 
> "E" 
> 
> 
>> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Liliana Harris <[email protected]> 
>> wrote:
>> I had thought I would travel to the Azores this summer and do a little 
>> research in the cemeteries. Now I read (again, I will admit, fiction) that 
>> the people dig up (all?) the bodies after a certain number of years. Can 
>> this possibly be true, especially in a Catholic culture? Why? Where would 
>> they put the bodies? Would the headstones remain?
>> -- 
>> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
>> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
>> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right 
>> that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
>> --- 
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>> "Azores Genealogy" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>> email to [email protected].
>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.
> 
> -- 
> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right 
> that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
> --- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Azores Genealogy" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to