Thank you, Cheri. (It seems I've thanked you a lot since I started this 
quest.) The information is a letdown, but now I understand the reason for 
it. I had pictured myself prowling around old cemeteries, finding clues, 
and doing grave rubbings. I guess not.

On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:59:18 PM UTC-7, Cheri Mello wrote:
>
> Liliana,
>
> Yes, the remains are dug up and put into a crypt (I think the correct word 
> is ossuary). The grave is then reused.  It has nothing to do with being 
> Catholic.  There is not enough room for all those bodies that have 
> populated the islands since the 1400s.  It's a necessity.  
>
> The only way the body remains is if the family pays a fee to keep the body 
> longer.  
>
> No, you won't find headstones.
>
> Cheri Mello
> Listowner, Azores-Gen
> Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das 
> Tainhas, Achada 
>

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to