Doug,
I am impressed, though it's all way over my head.

Dad

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 2:13 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks to several private exchanges, I thought it might be interesting to
> illustrate one example of the use of Gedmatch.
>
> Fellow list member Antonio Faria, whose ancestry stems from Lajes do Pico
> on both sides of his family, long ago tested for Y-DNA and he has written
> about it countless times on this list how it leads straight to Baltazar
> Vieira born in the middle 1500s and from Sao Mateus, Pico. Decades before I
> met Antonio, I knew Baltazar Vieira was also my own direct ancestor and the
> fact Y-DNA testing revealed his J haplogroup which means he has direct male
> line Jewish ancestry was simply fascinating to me. But for years I wondered
> exactly how Antonio descended from Baltazar, because my ancestry is from my
> paternal grandmother whose parents were both born in Sao Roque do Pico and
> I had already traced all families there and still had no idea how Antonio
> connected to Baltazar. So last year we finally made contact and found that
> it was his grandfather or great-grandfather from Sao Roque who moved over
> to Lajes in the late 1800s. Then I was able to know who our most recent
> common ancestor on that line is. It turns out that on that line it takes 8
> generations back to reach that ancestor and 9 generations for me to reach
> the same ancestor, making us 7th cousins, once removed.
>
> This means that his father and my father are 6th cousins, once removed
> from this particular ancestor.
> But there is another line which takes 6 generations for his father and 6
> for my father to reach, making our fathers 5th cousins.
>
> These two proven lines (with many more remote connections I won't name)
> are not enough for FTDNA to show that our fathers are related. Sure, one
> could say that it's simply because one or both of them didn't get the DNA
> from that ancestor. So that's the basis of my liking Gedmatch so much to
> look at DNA matches from all angles.
>
> Just now I ran a comparison between my father's kit and his father's kit.
> I set the cM level down as low as it goes which is 1 and here are the
> results:
>
> There are 6 separate segments of common cM on 6 different chromosomes (5,
> 6 11, 14, 16, 17). Two matches are quite small in the 1 range, three are in
> the 2 range and the largest is a 9.5 cM segment on Chr 17. The total of all
> segments equals 20.5 cM.
>
> Genealogy research has proven we're related. Then DNA testing has
> confirmed it as above. Yet they don't show as a match on FTDNA.
>
> So now we compare Antonio's father to one of my cousins. My cousin's
> grandmother was my father's mother, so my father is an uncle here. And all
> this DNA is coming from my father's mother with all Pico ancestry. If she
> were still alive to test, she would surely match about double the number on
> her side of the family that my father matches, just like my father matches
> about double the number on his side that I match.
>
> First of all, Antonio's father shows as a match on FTDNA to my cousin,
> unlike my father. So the matching DNA my grandmother passed down to the
> parent of my cousin was greater than the matching DNA my father got from
> her. This illustrates why it's best to get all the older generations tested
> first (today if you can), but do not neglect to get all your cousins
> tested, as well as all your siblings.
>
> I ran the two kits (Antonio's father and my cousin) through the one to one
> DNA comparison with Gedmatch and found the following common DNA:
>
> Chromosomes 1, 3, 6, 10, and 14 all had at least 1cM of shared DNA
> segments of various sizes. The total came to equal 20.9 cM. Notice how the
> total for my father was 20.5. The smallest segment was in the 1 range, two
> segments are in the 2 range, one in the 3 range and the last and biggest
> segment is in the 11.4cM. That larger amount was enough for FTDNA to list
> it as a match whereas the 9.5 segment for my father was too low to reach
> the minimum threshold.
>
> I'm certainly no scientist, but I think that the two totals of 20.5 and
> 20.9 cM are significant. It's telling me that my grandmother had no less
> than 20.9 cM of this same matching DNA and could be way more, like 40 cM.
> But it's impossible to test that.
>
> The way I interpret it is that the matching DNA from my grandmother was
> pretty much equally passed down to my father and his sibling, then passed
> to my cousin. Too bad we can't test my father's sibling to know exactly how
> much matching DNA they had, but no matter what, my cousin got a tiny bit
> more of it and chances are pretty good there was more of that matching DNA
> in the parent.
>
> But the reason FTDNA called a match in one case and not the other is the
> size difference (11.4 verses 9.5). It is my understanding that this is only
> part of the equation when deciding who is a match and who is not. The total
> cM is the other part of the equation and since that is about equal in both
> kits, the only reason one is a match is the size is just a bit higher for
> one segment.
>
> But it's the randomness of DNA passing from generation to generation that
> accounts for the reason someone in a later generation shows as related when
> the closer generation (my father) doesn't show. By chance my cousin got a
> segment that recombined to form a larger segment that pushed them over the
> threshold and my father didn't, but got one additional segment showing up
> on some other chromosome.
>
> This is not the case, but let's assume we had just the two above common
> ancestors I mentioned where one line is a 5th cousin match and the other
> line is 6th cousins, once removed. Let's further assume that DNA for both
> sets of matches reached my grandmother. In fact, maybe DNA from one is
> completely missing, but for now let's say she got about 15cM from each
> ancestor and that the total cM she had equaled 30. She might have passed on
> about 10cM from each common ancestor so that my father got just a little
> over 20cM and my cousin got nearly the same.
>
> If there were two larger segments of about 10cM each representing these
> two common ancestors, I think my father would have shown up as a match. But
> by chance his 20cM was divided into smaller segments with only one larger
> segment that fell below the threshold. Yet my cousin, by chance, had a
> little bit larger segment that reached that threshold and ding, ding, ding,
> we have a match.
>
> In reality, there are many more ancestors we share that are quite remote
> from the 1600s and 1500s that probably account for some of these segments.
> Maybe the ones in the 1cM range are from these more remote ancestors. That
> throws a wrench into the above calculations, but that's just why it's more
> complicated than my above explanation.
>
> And that is also why FTDNA wants to error on the side of less matches than
> reality because it's hard to predict how segments all end up generation
> after generation. Same for any scientist and that's why they operate on
> hypotheses. They can't make any progress if they don't look at all the
> possibilities. And with their reputations on the line, they don't want to
> say something now that will be disproved next year, even if their hunch is
> right.
>
> But the data I have to work with, like above, is giving me a different
> conclusion than it's giving to FTDNA. They are not studying the same
> families I am. And it takes someone with a very complete family tree plus
> testing of many relatives to make these conclusions. I would be flattered
> if someone at FTDNA were to take my observations and add their vast
> additional expertise to come up with their own conclusions. It probably
> won't happen, but that's the reason feedback is so important. They will
> take a look at information and decide if it's worthy of their time.
>
> For now, the above is what I've observed.
>
> But before I end, there is one final comparison I can do that should help
> support my above conclusions.
> I can compare my own test to Antonio's father and this is what I get:
>
> Wow, this was not expected. We have a total of 22.2 cM in common. That's
> more than both my cousin and father. I don't show as a match to Antonio's
> father, either. None of my siblings do. And the reason is that I have mine
> broken down into more segments with the largest being 7.2cM on Chr 6. For
> my father, he had just 1.4cM on that chromosome. I had a second largest
> segment of 5.6 on chr 17 (notice that it's the same chromosome where my
> father's 9.5 segment lies). But I don't think it has much significance
> where the matching DNA shows on the various 22 chromosomes. That's just the
> random nature of it.
>
> Apparently my larger total cM than my father is coming from segments that
> are less than 1cM. No doubt my father had the same DNA which I got from
> him, but in my case, there was enough of it to randomly combine into more
> 1cM and larger segments that gave me a higher total.
>
> Another of my cousins has the following compared to Antonio's father:
> 15.3 cM total with the largest being 9.5cM which is exactly the size as my
> father's largest matching segment
>
> A sibling of this person above has a total of 17.1cM in common with
> another 9.5cM largest segment.
>
> Neither of these two above siblings show as matching Antonio's father.
>
> Yet another of my cousins, a sibling of the first who shows as matching
> Antonio's father at FTDNA has the largest matching segment of 11.8cM, just
> a little larger then the above sibling. The total amount of matching DNA is
> 20.2, but that's only the DNA that is 1cM or greater. I noticed that FTDNA
> says they have a total of 25.73 cM and that means about 5cM is smaller than
> 1cM in size. This helps explain why I had a larger total than my father. In
> fact, he must have at least the same amount of cM as I have, but some
> happened to recombine into smaller segments below the 1cM level.
>
> Finally, a third sibling of the two who show as matching Antonio's father
> does not show as a match through FTDNA. But when run through Gedmatch,
> there is a total shared cM of just 2.5cM on just one chromosome. This is
> clearly a case where they simply didn't get much of that DNA and instead
> got DNA matching other people. Yet another example why testing all siblings
> is important.
>
> I have been compiling this information for many hours, between other
> tasks. I think I have made my point.
>
> Hopefully I have convinced people of two things, at least:
> 1. get all oldest family members tested and also every possible cousin
> 2. study the results as I have done above if you already have tested many
> relatives and if you come to other conclusions than have I, please share
> them. This is how we all learn.
>
> Doug da Rocha Holmes
> Sacramento, California
> Pico & Terceira Genealogist
> 916-550-1618
> www.dholmes.com
>
>
>
> --
> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the
> right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my
> membership."
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Azores Genealogy" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.
>

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to