Hi all,

I may also help with my side of the plan.. Those that use tombo.pt must 
have seen the FTDNA link that I recently added to the left sidebar in the 
site. I'm an affiliate of FTDNA, meaning that any sales lead that I 
generate will earn me 5% of the 'sale'. That is, if you buy a test in FTDNA 
after following that link, and that test costs you $100, FTDNA pays me $5.

I believe that any serious genealogist researching in Portugal visits my 
site several times per week. It's a bit different for the Azores 
(considering there's only 3 or 4 parishes remaining, and you get the news 
of their availability faster via this group), and Madeira (where there 
hasn't been any news to report in more than a year).

I'm in the process of making a front-page article (in Portuguese) 
explaining what Genetic Genealogy is, with links back to FTDNA. It will 
both help me personally, as I'm 100% mainland and I have 1-2 significant FF 
matches, and financially (running the site costs money, not to mention the 
time I put in it).

If it works, we should see some more matches popping up.

João C. Ventura
http://tombo.pt/en


On Sunday, 19 October 2014 18:40:30 UTC+2, Doug da Rocha Holmes wrote:
>
> Antonio,
>
> I share your goal.
>
> I spent last night writing an article about this conversation and topic. I 
> will submit it to a Portuguese newspaper and hope they decide to use it. 
> That will surely help our cause.
>
> I can send you the article if you like.
>
> Doug da Rocha Holmes
> Sacramento, California
> Pico & Terceira Genealogist
> 916-550-1618
> www.dholmes.com
>
>
>  -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] DNA matches that link the Azores to
> Mainland Portugal
> From: A Faria <[email protected] <javascript:>>
> Date: Sun, October 19, 2014 8:58 am
> To: [email protected] <javascript:>
> Cc: [email protected] <javascript:>
>
>
> My goal Doug is through DNA to obtain clues about the ancestral Village, 
> Town or City of my ancestors prior to settling in the Azores I predict 
> interest will increase in this area and there will be some format to 
>
> share and discuss this information with others that are interested. I have 
> some good clues already that indicate that my direct paternal ancestor that 
> settled on Pico in the 1500's was from Porto, it is important 
>
> that more people of Azorean ancestry test to give us more clues but we 
> will get a clearer picture when more Portuguese from the Mainland test
>
>  
>
>
>
> On Saturday, October 18, 2014 5:33:01 PM UTC-7, Doug da Rocha Holmes wrote:
>>
>> Antonio,
>>
>> Your point is excellent.
>>
>> I have a cousin of a cousin by marriage (if you can follow that one!) who 
>> did Y-DNA testing and has no matches from his mainland Portuguese ancestry. 
>> Of course, it's no surprise. But if we are to have any chance at finding 
>> family connections to mainland people, DNA is the only way. I will point 
>> this out in the Portuguese Genealogy group on Facebook, where we have about 
>> 250 or so members and growing (but not growing as fast as the Azores group) 
>> and I think it could have some impact.
>>
>> Similarly, I recently was invited to join a Facebook group of people with 
>> Madalena, Pico ancestry and found I am related to them all (over 100 
>> members of that group) and slowly working on convincing them to test.
>>
>> The answer is always to get more to test, so that's what I work on.
>>
>> Doug da Rocha Holmes
>> Sacramento, California
>> Pico & Terceira Genealogist
>> 916-550-1618
>> www.dholmes.com
>>  
>>
> 

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to