Thanks Margaret. I thought it would be something else :).

Concerning to Bretanha do not forget that Bretanha existed long before the
french occupied part of the mainland (we suffered three invasions).

De: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] Em nome de
Margaret Vicente
Enviada: 22 de agosto de 2016 20:38
Para: azores <azores@googlegroups.com>
Assunto: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Pacheco Rainha Furtado 1882 Ribeira das
Tainhas, Sao Miguel island

Eliseu,

On the island of S. Miguel, there's a place singularly called "Bretanha" it is
said to have been the place of the French.  However, you can read more about it
by clicking on the links below:

Starting in the 1500's....see small excerpt and link:

Iberian Union[
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=History_of_the_Azores&action=edit&section=7>
 edit]

In 1583, Philip tried again at defeating the Azoreans. He sent his combined
Iberian fleet to clear the French traders from the Azores, decisively hanging
his  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoners-of-war> prisoners-of-war from the
yardarms and contributing to the " <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Legend>
Black Legend". The Azores were the second-to-last part of the Portuguese empire
to resist Philip's reign over Portugal ( <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macau>
Macau being the last), Azores was returned to Portuguese control with the end
of the  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iberian_Union> Iberian Union, not by the
military efforts, as these were already in
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Restoration_War> Restoration War
efforts in the mainland, but by the people attacking a well-fortified Castilian
guarnition.

The Azores served as a  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port#port_of_call> port
of call for the Spanish galleons during their occupation. In December of 1640
the Portuguese monarchy was restored and the islands again became a Portuguese
possession.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Azores

The French invasion in early 1800's.....the islands were not immune to the
invasion....see quote below and to read more about it...please click on the link

Spain and Portugal: 1807-1809

In October 1807 Napoleon decides that the only certain method of securing the
<http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/PlainTextHistories.asp?gtrack=pthc&ParagraphID=mfu#mfu>
 Continental System is a French occupation of Portugal. He despatches an army
for the purpose and summons Spanish envoys to Fontainebleau.

In a treaty signed at Fontainebleau, on October 27, the partition of Portugal
is agreed. France is to have the central section, including Lisbon and Oporto.
The Algarve in the south will go to Godoy, the Spanish king's unscrupulous
chief minister. The north will be granted to the young duke of Parma in return
for his valuable kingdom of Etruria (or in plain terms Tuscany), which will be
ceded to France.

Even before the treaty is signed a French army has entered Spain on its way to
Portugal - where its imminent arrival near Lisbon causes panic. The royal
family and court decide to flee for safety to Brazil, taking with them (to
Napoleon's fury) the gold and silver of the national treasure. A Portuguese
fleet, accompanied by a British squadron, sails from the mouth of the Tagus on
29 November 1807. The vanguard of the French army enters the capital city the
next day.

Read more:
<http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/PlainTextHistories.asp?ParagraphID=hsj#ixzz4I5xEAkl1>

http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/PlainTextHistories.asp?ParagraphID=hsj#ixzz4I5xEAkl1

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Eliseu Pacheco da Silva