Hi,

A DNA/FTDNA set of questions.  Still trying to understand match meanings.
Any response can wait until home and settled after the conference : )

Does ‘not strong’, mean just more distant? As 5th/6th, etc. cousins?  Or
match low because beyond a certain number of years (as shared ancestor from
200+ years before our births)?

Of my 432 FamilyFinder matches, the highest is 57 shared cM. No identified
matches.

Of my husband’s 1500+ FamilyFinder matches, the highest is 107 shared cM
(known 3rd Csn 1R); another (6th highest match), at 64 shared cM (believed 5
th Csn 1R).  So, lowish numbers for identifiable relationships.

Example:

>From 15 years of paper research (England), one person is paper-trail
verified my 6th cousin (shared ancestors 1st cousins b 1745 and 1754).  He
tested via ancestry.  Recent email from others (of our ‘known’ shared
family) who matched him via ancestry said she/her mother also transferred
their findings to FTDNA.  They are not in my list of matches.

Customer Service at FTDNA said their results could be ‘outside FTDNA
parameters’ and that even with knowing kit numbers, there is no manual way
to connect/see one another.

Marsha Stringer

strin...@mstringer.net