Barbara Velha, a widow, an aged beggar, "...died with all the sacraments of
the sainted church; she made no will for she had nothing; she was buried in
the churchyard near the main door of this church..."

I've read that in the mid/late19th century, it was the custom that on one
day of the week (Sundays, I think, but am not sure now) the poor of a
parish would go from door to door collecting alms, and that it was the
practice to give something if one could.  The wealthier one was, the more
obligated to give alms-- not forgetting the religious obligation as well.
I don't know if this was the case earlier too, but I wouldn't be surprised
if it was a centuries old tradition.  Anyway, my impression is that begging
was sort of an informal socio-religious based welfare system.

hope that helps,

:)

Linda