Hi Maria Elena,

Mendicant denotes begging, but, no, I don't think we can assume
homelessness. Nineteenth century travel writers to the Azores describe the
material poverty and the custom of begging, but I don't recall reading any
accounts of homeless elderly women.

Ok, here's a quick summary of a description from one of the books I have:
Saturday was the customary day they made their rounds; the beggars the
author observed (on Sao Miguel) were all elderly impoverished women.  He
says that "Mendicity [sic] is confined to the aged and infirm poor and to
the crippled and blind, for whom there is no legal provision.  They are
therefore dependent on the charity of the wealthy, to whom they make a
weekly application and receive alms."  "Their strength is to sit still; and
they will wait on a staircase or at a gate for more than an hour, in dismal
expectation of the smallest pittance."  During the period when your Barbara
Velha lived, the monasteries and convents distributed surplus food to the
beggars as well as alms; later the religious houses were dissolved, and the
author (writing about 20 years afterwards, if I recall correctly) suggests
that added a bit more hardship to their lives.

I recall reading an obito for a man in Cedros, Flores where the priest
wrote that the man's occupation was "a beggar and nothing more".  His tone
struck me as exasperated, and now I wish I'd noted where exactly I saw it
because now I'd like to look at it again.

hope that's useful for you,

Linda