Mara and JR,
I'll answer you both here.

JR, no, I haven't looked for Emilia's parents in Faja de Baixo yet.  I only
started my search Sunday starting with the records in Sao Sebastiao.  So, I
have more work to do!

Mara,

This information is interesting.  So, emancipation does have to do with
someone who is not of legal age.  Jose Jacintho de Braga was born 23 Sep
1846.  The emancipation was 1867.  Depending on the date, he would have
been 21 or almost there.  He didn't marry until October 1868, so clearly by
then he was 22.

Are their other reason that a person would need emancipation such as
disability?

According to the marriage record, the bride is 29 years old, 7 years older
than the groom. Could there be an issue there somehow...either the father
forbidding his marriage to this woman or maybe an arranged marriage (were
they doing that in the Azores?)

All very curious!  As you said, the file has the answers we seek.  I don't
have access to it being in California.

There's always some new mystery that pops up with researcher.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this!