Thank you so much for your responses!  It's helped me get a little bit of
an idea of why he asked for emancipation.  We can rule out that his father
recently died.  He lived until 1888.

I will be following Emilia's trail.  Then I want to go back to the obitos
for Maia and make sure that these three children were the only ones who
survived.  They are bit skimpy on details in the 1830s/1840s.  I want to
make sure I'm not leaving any stones unturned.

Thanks again!