Thanks for the info on Jose (b. 23 Sep 1846).
My computer program says that Jose and I are 7th cousins, 3 times removed.

Shirley in CA
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Cheri Mello
  To: Azores Genealogy
  Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 11:25 AM
  Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Jozimas de Braga's brother found in Ponta
Delgada question about inventario entry

   I read that (with my limited Portuguese) as Jose is filing for emancipation
from his father.

Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

  On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 10:44 AM, IslandRoutes <islandrou...@gmail.com> wrote:

    This is a neat little discovery for me that I had to share.  I think some
others are also interested in the de Braga family of Maia, Ribeira Grande.

    Jacintho Jose de Braga, (b. 21 Sep 1806), Maia m. 26 Aug 1829, Maia to Rosa
de Medeiros Pacehco (b. 4 Mar 1810, Maia) had 10 known children.  Until now,
I've only been able to prove that Jozimas (my gr gr grandfather) and his
sister, Jacintha Roza, made it to adulthood and had families.

    Now, I can add their brother, Jose Jacintho de Braga (b. 23 Sep 1846, Maia)
to the list.  Jose moved to Ponta Delgada.  He married Emilia Augusta de
Medeiros 8 Oct 1868, Sao Sebastiao, Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island.  Emilia
was the daughter of Agosthinho de Medeiros and Mafalda da Assumpcao.  Emilia
was born ca 1839, Sao Jose, Ponta Delgada.  If the marriage record is right,
she was 7 years older that Jose.

    Jose and Emilia had at least two children:
    1. Toribio baptized 10 Jan 1870, Sao Sebastiao, P. Delgada
    2. Jose, b. 24 Jul 1872, Sao Sebastiao, P. Delgada

    Jose was recorded in his marriage under the surname Pacheco, but under the
surname de Braga for his son's baptismals.

    At that point the trail goes cold.  I haven't found anymore children in Sao
Sebastiao.  I also have not found Toribio or Jose's marriages or any children
baptized with them as parents.  I haven't gone through the obitos yet.  I'm
hoping they survived.

    Now my question, I was searching the arquivo website yesterday and came
across a curious entry for Jose Jacintho de Braga.  I know the records aren't
online, but was hoping someone can give me an idea of what this file refers to:

http://www.arquivos.azores.gov.pt/details?id=1029225&ht=jose%7Cjacinto%7Cde%7Cbraga

    In case the link doesn't work the notes read:
    "Autos cíveis de petição para emancipação. Requerente residente em Ponta
Delgada."

    What does this refer to? The file is for Jose Jacintho but under recipient
it says "Jacintho Jose de Braga", which I believe refers to his father.

    Thanks for the assistance!