When I have searched for names on family trees, a private tree will pop up
once in a while in the list along with public trees. A message says to
contact the owner if I want to know more. I cannot search the tree and if
the hit is like many of the ones for public tress it isn't even really the
name I am search for but might be similar.

I am suspicious of any hits on Ancestry now. In trying to find out how I
link to a DNA match many times I have found that the source of the
information on their tree is another Ancestry member's tree. And often it's
my tree!

I have a minimal tree that's public and one going further back that is not.
I'll have to look into the non-searchable option that was mentioned.

Mary