I just looked at my *Guido de Monterey, *which is a little guide book that
was published many years ago. Under the chapter on the churches and ermidas
it says: NS de Guadalupe--Alicerces Iniciados a 15 de Maio de 1713.
Primeira pedra assente a 22 do mesmo mes. Missa inaaugural a 5 de Agosto de
1756. estaurada enre Set. do 1918 e Febereiro de 1919. Then the next
paragraph says, "Destaque para as imagens da padroeira, de aliciante
expressao, e de Nossa Senhora do Rosario, esta chegada a ilha em Abril de
1922."
If someone who reads Portuguese could translate I think we would have the
answer!!
Sorry that it took me so long to remember I had that book!

Rosemarie
rcap...@gmail.com
Researching Sao Jorge, Terceira, Graciosa, Faial and Pico, Azores,
Isola delle Femmine, Sant' Elia, Sicily