When I started looking for my grandparents records here in Massachusetts, I
found that my grandfather immigrated under one name (De Mello Barbosa) but
got married under de Mello Silva (his mother's maiden name) and eventually
became just Mello.  Given the amount of times surnames changed going back
further than that, I came to the conclusion it was a miracle I found any
connections at all!  Mainly, thanks to the great people where who helped
point in the right direction.

But you might do some searches on familysearch or ancestry with
combinations of their names(even searching first names and your mother's
name) and see what shows up in census and other state records.

Elaine