Sorry, didn’t read that detail, which speaks for itself.  If the priest wrote
it in the record that saves you having to search any further.  The accuracy I
was referring to was with regard to variations in the Grandparents names of the
baptized.

Yes, to my knowledge the Roda Publica was set up in the City Halls, thus
“public”.  Initially they were left at door steps and churches.  A few convents
had Roda’s but as the Church was overwhelmed the City took over.  Books were
created and each child was given a number.  You will find examples of this in
Sao Sebastiao, Matriz, Ponta Delgada, birth records, expostos.

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PD-SAOSEBASTIAO-B-1874-1874/SMG-PD-SAOSEBASTIAO-B-1874-1874_item1/P4.html

Sorry, can’t comment on family lure, which usually held some truth but if the
records do not state the child was claimed then the mother would not have been
able to take it back without the proper authorization.  Which would then be
appended to the child’s birth record.

To answer you questions ‘would the Camara have any records of this abandoned
child at someone’s door step” ----- the answer is dependent of the time period
as noted above.

Regarding name changes; I have seen records where the same exposto started off
as ‘ da Camara ‘ to Camara Costa, to Costa Camara,  to Carvalho.  This to me
shows the personal difficulty of this individual had in identifying with his
own given/adopted surname.

There was no official document that could firm up surnames as the Church only
kept first name basis records.  Surnames at certain points were up to the
families or individuals to take them on.  When Civil registry took over late
18th Century then the rules changed and every born child was registered with a
full name and surname [s].

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Margaret