This is just a shot in the dark looking for any help.  My wife has a close
DNA match in New Zealand.  He is the grandson of Francis Joseph.  A mariner
that jumped ship in New Zealand in the 1860s, reported that he was widowed
when he married in New Zealand in the 1880s, was from the Azores and had a
father named Antonio that was a carpenter.  Francis Joseph did work as a
cooper for his company in New Zealand.  I got this information from member
of this list who is also a DNA match to my wife and a nephew of the closer
match.  We are studying the possibility that Francisco Jose Cordeiro and
Francis Joseph might be the same person hoping to prove or disprove it.

Their names and ages roughly line up.  I do not know if Francisco's father
Antonio was a carpenter on Graciosa, but his son and grandson were both
carpenters.  There is a Francis Joseph listed as a cooper on the Whaling
Ship Seconet on a voyage from 1955 to 1860 (a carpenter could easily be a
cooper) but unfortunately the database does not give an age or home.   This
vessel did go to the South Pacific.

I am trying to trace Francisco Jose Cordeiro and looking for any insight.
I am especially trying to figure out if he could have been absent from the
Azores from mid/late 1860s and on in spite of his wife's obit saying they
are still married.

Here is his baptism in 1828 in Sao Mateus da Praia, Graciosa
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/GRA-SC-SAOMATEUS-B-1826-1833/GRA-SC-SAOMATEUS-B-1826-1833_item1/P30.html

Here is his marriage on Sao Miguel Island in July 1849:
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PD-SAOSEBASTIAO-C-1841-1854/SMG-PD-SAOSEBASTIAO-C-1841-1854_item1/P121.html

Here is his son Manuel's baptism in his home parish on Graciosa 5 months
later:
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/GRA-SC-SAOMATEUS-B-1841-1855/GRA-SC-SAOMATEUS-B-1841-1855_item1/P179.html

Here is his second son Joao's baptism in Urzelina, Sao Jorge in 1852 (Note
that Urzelina is where his wife lived the two years prior to marriage
according to her marriage):
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-VL-URZELINA-B-1841-1855/SJR-VL-URZELINA-B-1841-1855_item1/P82.html

That son died after just 40 days:
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-VL-URZELINA-O-1841-1858/SJR-VL-URZELINA-O-1841-1858_item1/P41.html

Here is his 3d son (second named Joao) baptism in Oct 1855 (note: he was
born Jun 1854, about 15 months prior)
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-VL-URZELINA-B-1855-1860/SJR-VL-URZELINA-B-1855-1860_item1/P14.html

This marriage lists Francisco Jose Cordeiro as father of the groom and is a
carpenter in 1882:
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-VL-URZELINA-C-1880-1889/SJR-VL-URZELINA-C-1880-1889_item1/P24.html

This obit says Maria Isabel is "casada com Francisco Jose Cordeiro" in 1901
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-VL-URZELINA-O-1900-1911/SJR-VL-URZELINA-O-1900-1911_item1/P14.html

The only Urzelina confessional roll available for the time in question is
1888.  It does not list Francisco Jose Cordeiro.  His son Joao Baptista
Cordeiro is listed there along with his wife and their first two kids.
Also listed in the house is a Maria Jose, mother, widow, 76 years old.  I
am thinking this could be Joao's mother (Francisco Jose Cordeiro's wife)
but her name is Maria Isabel and she would be only 69 years old.  It doubt
it could be Joao's mother-in-law because her name was Rosa Ignacia and she
was never married.  Francisco's son Manuel went to California as a young
man (about 1869) and raised a family in Sacramento under the name Manuel
Jose Lamb.  I can't find his immigration that might help figure out if his
family were on Graciosa or Sao Jorge at the time of his departure.  The
only other son (just to confirm his mother's obit said she left 2 kids)
stayed on Sao Jorge and had four kids, one of whom is my wife's grandfather
Joao Batista Cordeiro Jr.

I applaud anyone that takes the time to read through this mess and look
forward to any comments

Bill Seidler