If you can search for an obituary for your Joseph Silver, it may give a
clue. That was a very useful source of information for my Azorean 2x great
grandfather. It gave us his village and island in the Azores. It also told
the story of how he came to Australia. You would need to know where he died
and search the newspapers or contact the local historical group. They are
always very helpful.

My understanding is that some of the Azoreans who came to Australia and New
Zealand were recruited onto American whaling ships. They were often
shipwrecked as in my ancestors case or jumped ship, as I believe it was a
hard life on these ships.

You need to know the village or freguesia and island in the Azores. Then
you can search the archives. Also consider doing DNA testing as Cheri has
already suggested.
Good luck