On 29/01/07, Dave Crossland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I forwarded my reply to an old friend, Miles Metcalfe

More interesting comments from Miles:

"Never in the history of creative product
have rights holders contemplated or been allowed to get away with
restrictions against the affordances of their medium - nor should
they now. I would argue that three things reward rights holders for
the risk of easy copying: one, digital distribution is reaches new
market (reaching consumers that would otherwise not have consumed);
two, digital distribution significantly reduces costs (by
transferring the cost of instantiating the product from the producer
to the consumer); three, digital distribution allows the creation of
new business models, and therefore extra avenues for monetisation.
These three things are sufficient gain to offset the duplication risk
- and organisations like the BBC should be telling rights holders so."

--
Regards,
Dave