On 30/01/07, James Cridland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 1/29/07, Dave Crossland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 29/01/07, James Cridland < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In most cases, the broadcaster has negotiated limited rights

> The distributor's "limited" rights have been extended in the opposite
> direction to where distribution technology has taken us.

Agreed: probably precisely because distribution technology is taking us a
different way.

Both sides see the need for the rights to be reconciled with the
technological reality.

Proprietary Culturalists are trying to make copying machines less good
at copying with DRM, and call for extended restriction on the public.

Free Culturalists are continuing to make copying machines better at
copying than ever, and call for reduced restrictions on the public.

Cui bono?

> > rights in a limited time-frame and a limited territory to exploit
> > copyright material: for which wholesale and free copying via
> > BitTorrent without DRM is wholly unrealistic.
>
> "Wholly unrealistic" seems pretty nutty when http://www.uknova.com/
> and friends are doing it anyway.

If you make furniture, the fact that occasionally someone
nicks a chair from your factory doesn't mean that you should
stop charging for chairs.

Metaphors that compare digital data to physical objects are almost
always confusion.

Stealing is stealing, copying is copying. Stealing is not copying.

If you make furniture, the fact that furniture-duplication wands are
invented does not give you the right to restrict people from
duplicating chairs.

Capitalism is infinitely adaptable, and furniture commerce will
continue in a world that permits furniture duplication. Capitalism is
not threatened by changes to business models - but some businesses are
threatened. Some are powerful, and being under threat, try to
misrepresent my position from a threat to a business model to a threat
to business.

Such as all the "copying is stealing" crap everytime we visit the
cinema or buy a portable media player.

--
Regards,
Dave