On 30/07/07, James Cridland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 7/29/07, Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> (boring DRM invective deleted)
>
> > Also why does the BBC trust's report not mention the fact that not
> > only is iPlayer Windows only, it is IE only? Did the BBC not tell them
> > they where doing this? Why can't it work with Firefox? iplayer:// can
> > be made to run iPlayer from Firefox it's not exactly tricky is it? Or
> > do you use some dodgy way of invoking iPlayer from IE? (or is it no
> > longer IE only?)
>

> I asked just this question; and the answer is the invocation of the iPlayer
> is some kind of ActiveX nastiness. Everything else works just fine with
> Firefox, but the team made the sensible decision to make the entire site
> "not work", rather than allow you to get all the way to choosing a programme
> and then be told you can't. It *is* on the roadmap to be sorted, though; as
> is the Mac/Linux issue.

FireFox can be used by installing the IETab plugin & adding the
iplayer site to it.  I know it's a fudge & of course IE embedded is
running under the hood - but it allows seamless use with Firefox
(works with Windoze Update as well). Useability excellent.

http://ietab.mozdev.org/

Regards,
Nico Morrison