On 30/07/07, James Cridland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 7/30/07, Nico Morrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > But for heavens sake BBC - put a proper forum up, not this manky
> 'messageboard'.
>

> The manky messageboard is the BBC's "DNA" system, which talks correctly to
> the single sign-on service, and does other useful fancy things. There's a
> lot of work going on behind the scenes; much of what I see of the BBC's
> current web infrastructure (now I'm inside) is very Web0.5, but that's being
> sorted. Don't panic. (That previous sentence was, I note, an unintended pun,
> given that 'DNA' is actually based on the H2G2 engine.)

There are several scalable, user-friendly forum software packages,
with the facility to login externally from another sign-on service.
They can also connect to web pages news/articles - often called
'talkback', much superior to blog comments, as they connect news
articles to an automatic forum topic and the article can also be founs
from the forum.

The current system is not user-friendly & it is difficult to see what
is where & to either get or give answers.

No Search, no 'new replies to my posts'. No 'stickies'. No 'unread
posts since my last visit'. No 'subscribe to this topic' or 'show
subscribed topics'. Ugly interface. I could go on and on.

Web0.5 indeed - but why does the BBC have to reinvent the wheel?
Forums are often the major first-stop support base and their beauty is
that it's other customers who often provide the support.

You probably know all this  - but are now stuck with a BBC 'standard'
- I sympathise.

Regards,
Nico Morrison