On 14 Oct 2009, at 09:54, Mo McRoberts wrote:
This is actually what I’d assumed the case would be, so I was a little surprised by the blog post yesterday (which conveniently skirts around the point that neither Sky nor Virgin Media, for example, would be able to officially make their STBs work with Canvas-delivered services without ditching their own user interfaces and using the Canvas UX).

"Large parts of the Canvas technical specification will be available for use by manufacturers whether or not they deploy the Canvas UX (potentially as part of the DTG DBook 7). This gives the manufacturer the choice to deploy the Canvas UX or not, while still benefiting from a standard based approach. Such devices would be ‘own branded’ and in these cases the manufacturer would liaise directly with content providers regarding the terms of prominence and delivery of their services to the device and any other commercial terms (in a similar manner to other TV platforms)."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/consult/canvas_additional/section2.pdf