On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 4:19 AM, martin f krafft <madd...@madduck.net> wrote:

> However, the status quo seems broken to me. If BackupPC times out on
> a backup and stores a partial backup, it should be able to resume
> the next day. But this is not what seems to happen. The log seems to
> suggest that each backup run uses the previous full backup (#506,
> not the partial backup #507) as baseline:
>
>   full backup started for directory / (baseline backup #506)

Rsync should resume a partial, and probably would if you did not have
any other fulls.  I'm not sure how it decides which to use as the base
in that case.

> I only just turned on verbose logging to find out what's actually
> going on and whether there is any progress being made, but to me it
> seems like BackupPC is failing to build upon the work done for the
> last partial backup and keeps trying again and again.
>
> Has anyone seen this behaviour and do you have any suggestions how
> to mitigate this problem?

If you are running over ssh, you can try adding the -C option for
compression if you haven't already.    You could exclude some of the
new large files so a new run would complete, then include some, do
another full, and repeat until you have the whole set.  Or use brute
force: take the server to the client LAN or bring a complete clone of
the client's filesystem to the server lan and temporarily change
ClientNameAlias to point to it while you do a full backup to get the
base copy.

Or, you might try adding it under a different hostname with
ClientNameAliase pointed at the original host to see if it does reuse
the partials when there is no other choice.

     lesmikes...@gmail.com