On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 8:29 AM, martin f krafft <madd...@madduck.net> wrote:
>> The ClientTimeout setting may be your real issue though.  A running
>> backup should never time out as long as anything is transferring, even
>> if it takes days to complete but with rsync that value can be for the
>> whole backup.    I'd try raising it a lot and trying to catch up over
>> a weekend.
>
> I have gone down this path too. I really don't like it because it
> is, as you say, a safety net and I don't want to loosen it.
>
> I don't quite understand your first comment though. The docs say
> this for ClientTimeout:
>
>       Timeout in seconds when listening for the transport program's
>       (smbclient, tar etc) stdout. If no output is received during
>       this time, then it is assumed that something has wedged during
>       a backup, and the backup is terminated.
>
>       Note that stdout buffering combined with huge files being
>       backed up could cause longish delays in the output from
>       smbclient that BackupPC_dump sees, so in rare cases you might
>       want to increase this value.
>
>       Despite the name, this parameter sets the timeout for all
>       transport methods (tar, smb etc).
>
> Especially the last sentence suggests that this also applies to
> rsync and so I do not understand why an rsync backup would time out,
> unless there was no more data for almost a day (72.000 seconds).

Maybe it is a bug that has been fixed in the current version but I
know I have seen situations where the backup ended with an Alarm
signal but files in the backup had been updating not long before the
timeout.  I assumed it was an obscure bug in the rsync code to not
advance the timer on any activity.   If that is happening in your
case, raising the timeout at least temporarily might get past your
problem.    I think the default used to be 7200 seconds so it was much
more common to see the issue.

     lesmikes...@gmail.com