On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 3:45 PM, martin f krafft <madd...@madduck.net> wrote:
> also sprach Mike <ispbuil...@gmail.com> [2012.08.27.1502 +0200]:
>> The fix I've used is to --exclude a good chunk of the backup so it does
>> finish in a day, then --exclude a little less the next time it runs, and
>> so forth.
>
> I have used this method, which you and Les suggested. And yes, it
> works. However, it's hardly a "fix" or even an acceptable solution
> in a large-scale deployment. There is no way I can tell this to
> hundreds of users who do occasionally dump larger files to their
> home directories.

The best solution would be to have enough bandwidth to meet your
requirements...   Or at least enough to catch up by running through
weekends.

> BackupPC must be able to cope with this, or it must learn.
> Otherwise, I am afraid, it is unsuitable.
>
> Do you see a way? How can I force it to use the last partial backup
> as a baseline when attempting a new full backup?

The only setting I can see that relates to this would be
PartialAgeMax.  Are the retries happening before this expires?
Otherwise you'd have to poke though the code to see why it prefers the
previous full.

     lesmikes...@gmail.com