On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 1:31 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta
<gandalf.corvotempe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Wild guess here, but 'host unknown' usually means something has done a
>> DNS lookup (or reverse, number to name) that has failed.  DNS lookups
>> can be slow.    Maybe sticking the client hosts and IPs in your
>> /etc/hosts file would help if your reverse DNS doesn't work.
>
> I don't have reverse set for local machines, and as wrote before, the same
> configuration is used with plain rsync without issue at all.
>
> If DNS resolution is slow (but this is not the case, i don't see any
> delay), the same
> delay should even happen with standard rsync.

I don't recognize that 'unknown host' log entry.  If the transfers
wait for whatever is writing it, it might cause a delay where the time
will depend on the DNS response - if you get an immediate NXDOMAIN
from a local server it should be quick but if you are referred to an
upstream and possibly firewalled server that won't respond you would
have a multiple-second wait for a timeout.

You could test the theory with "nslookup 172.17.0.1" to see how long
the response takes if that is the actual address.

     lesmikes...@gmail.com