On 12/01/16 07:56, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:

Hi Gandalf,

Just jumping in here to hopefully provide some guidance. I understand
that it can be extremely frustrating when you are migrating from a
product you have used for years and has worked well enough to some new
product and it isn't working as well as you had expected. The important
points there are that your existing product has probably been configured
and tuned appropriately to work well in your environment, while the new
product hasn't had that opportunity yet, in addition, you know the older
product well, while the new one is a big black box that is frustrating
to work out what is wrong, why, and how to fix it. You sound very
experienced and proficient (based on the types of debug you are doing),
so I'm not belittling you or your knowledge at all, but equally, we are
not your typical level 1 tech support droids either, lets work together.

So, please try to do the following:
1) Define and control your environment
* Define the specs of both your server and client (disks, ram, cpu,
network, raid level, lvm, filesystem, etc)
* Only add one server at a time, when it is working well, add a second,
eventually you will be comfortable with adding a batch of servers, but
start controlled

2) When you come across a problem, try to provide as much detailed
information as possible. This can include unmodified log files
(excluding passwords), or similar. Don't just provide a tiny snippet or
a summary, provide all the detail (eg, not just one or two lines with
the error message, but the 50 lines before and 50 lines after).

3) Focus on one problem at a time
Often solving the first problem will also solve the other 5 unrelated
issues you thought you had. BackupPC is a complex system, and it can
take some time and effort to get it working smoothly.

4) IMHO, get yourself a development/testing/spare server to
install/setup BackupPC. Leave your existing Bacula server in-place and
working (so that you have actual working backups) and take some time to
get BackupPC working.

See more comments below....
>> I don't recognize that 'unknown host' log entry.  If the transfers
>> wait for whatever is writing it, it might cause a delay where the time
>> will depend on the DNS response - if you get an immediate NXDOMAIN
>> from a local server it should be quick but if you are referred to an
>> upstream and possibly firewalled server that won't respond you would
>> have a multiple-second wait for a timeout.
> dns resolution is done just on connect, not for each file.
> So, the delay would be just for the first connection attempt, after that,
> speed is normal as no dns resolution is made.
This might be true, but backuppc also needs to translate every log
message it sees from every tool. If it doesn't understand that a
specific message can be safely ignored, then it will treat it as an
error and mark the backup as failed. I don't think a reverse DNS lookup
would cause this message to be logged, at least not on the backuppc side
of things. Where did you collect this log from? How many times is the
error logged? What else does that log include or say?
> And, as wrote multiple times, the same server with standard rsync is working
> perfect. Only BPC is having trouble.
Sure, comparing standard rsync and BackupPC using rsync might be useful
up to a certain point, but remember they do very different things,
therefore performance will be different. If you are having a performance
issue, then you will need to work out which component is causing that,
and then decide what, if anything, you can do to try to resolve it.
Performance issues are normally one of these:
1) Disk (not raw throughput, but random I/O). Use iostat while a backup
is running to see what is happening.
2) RAM (a lot of ram can be used as a disk cache, not enough ram will
massively increase your disk I/O even without swapping)
3) CPU (for compression, if it is enabled, and also rsync does lots of
calculations/etc)
4) Bandwidth
5) Latency (both disk and network)

I've tried to order the above list in the common BPC performance
problems. Run through the list, check both BPC server and client for
each thing. When you find the problem, you can discuss it here, there
could be some config option that will help, or it might require
installing more/different hardware (eg more ram).

PS, can you explain the reason you are looking to move away from Bacula?
What issue is it that you are trying to solve?

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au