> Whoops, that was writing to the SSD for the root FS.... I was rather
> surprised at the high number, but didn't stop and think properly.
> Please see the revised stat:
> dr:/mnt/imagestore# dd if=/dev/zero of=test.img bs=1M count=10000
> 10000+0 records in
> 10000+0 records out
> 10485760000 bytes (10 GB) copied, 81.5089 s, 129 MB/s

This is mine:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/backups/test.img bs=1M count=2000
2000+0 records in
2000+0 records out
2097152000 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 15.4692 s, 136 MB/s

>> I'm sure you said you had 7200rpm disks, so you should get even better
>> performance for both random r/w as well as streaming writes. Which
>> brings me back to my earlier concern that you are using a VM for
>> backuppc, it is sharing it's performance with other things, which
>> works very poorly when dealing with spinning disks (even a streaming
>> write like your example is mixed with other random I/O which means it
>> kills performance).

I'm not using a VM (please don't make confusion between users), It's a
DELL PowerEdge 2950 with 8GB ram, hardware raid and 6x2TB @7200 disks
in RAID-5