On 15/01/16 05:55, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Holger Parplies <wb...@parplies.de> wrote:
>> For me (and, I believe, for many others), version 3 (and even version 2!)
>> works
>> so well that there is no reason to move to version 4.
>>
> I have to agree with that.  Really about the only issue people have
> with v3 is that if you ever want to copy the entire archive tree to a
> new system or to make an offsite copy it is a problem for
> file-oriented copy methods to recreate the large number of hardlinks.
>
> The changes in v4 may help some situations, but I wonder if the
> attempt to locate existing matching content from different locations
> might waste time where there are large numbers of tiny files.

I must say that this is the only reason for me choosing to run v4. For
some reason, a number of systems I need to support backups for have a
workflow that involves photos taken, downloaded from the camera to the
server, and then renaming/copying/moving them to various different
folders. With v4, BPC only downloads them once, and each time they are
moved/copied to a different folder there is no transfer. This helps my
backups actually work/complete in a much shorter time.

However, for most other scenarios, I doubt it would make a lot of
difference.

I would suggest anyone considering BPC should use v3 unless they
specifically need the v4 features, and even then, are prepared for the
possible shortcomings inherent in using alpha software.

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev