On Mon, 5 Feb 2018, Carl W. Soderstrom wrote:

On 02/04 07:48 , Raoul Bhatia wrote:
What's the issue with using LVM? Unless you need to reinitialize the whole fs, i.e. increase EXT4 inode count or switch to another fs, believe this is a perfect example of where LVM shines.

I'd like to insert a word of caution based on experience. I don't know about
using LVM for copying data to a new disk; but I do know that using LVM
snapshots to get a quiesced pool for backup, was a poor idea in my case. It
took 12h to get a tar dump of a given BackupPC data pool when BPC was
fully stopped, but 2 days to try to backup the same data pool when it was
quiesced using an LVM snapshot.

This is the thing - I was thinking about snapshot too, luckily I did not used them. To make a 1:1 copy you may use the LVM mirror feature, which is a bit new. I used "pvmove" - that _moved_ the data from one disk to another fine, but of course is not a copy. I wanted to separated backuppc data from /var mount point to its own disk that would be mounted in /var/lib/backuppc - that was the reason to make a copy, but as it failed I changed my approach.

--
Carl Soderstrom

Adam Pribyl