Bruno Rogério Fernandes wrote at about 09:43:13 -0300 on Thursday, February 17,
2022:
 > Maybe I've got a solution
 >
 > Instead of modifying backuppc behavior, I'm planning to disable
 > compression setting at the server and create a FUSE filesystem that
 > transparently compresses all the images using jpeg-xl format and put
 > backuppc pool on top of that.

I would check the speed as FUSE file systems can tend to be
slow... especially since you said your machine is slow.

 > The only problem I can think of is that every time backuppc has to do
 > some reading the FUSE will also need to decompress images on the fly. I
 > have to do some testing because my server is not much powerful, just a
 > dual-core system.

Decompressing only occurs if you need to read the underlying file as
otherwise the md5sum (and/or other file stats like timestamp, size,
owner, perms) are used to check for changes.

Plus, the same decompressing occurs if you use the built-in zlib
compression.