G.W. Haywood via BackupPC-users wrote at about 13:24:26 +0000 on Thursday,
February 17, 2022:
 > Hi there,
 >
 > On Thu, 17 Feb 2022, brogeriofernandes wrote:
 >
 > > I'm wondering if would be possible to run a command just after
 > > client transfers file data but before it's stored in backuppc
 > > pool. My idea is to do an image compression, like jpeg-xl lossless,
 > > instead of the standard zlib one.
 >
 > Have you considered using a compressing filesystem on the server?

I think that is the best idea as:
1. It is transparent to BackupPC
2. You benefit from all the optimizations of the underlying file
   system
3. No new coding is needed
4. No need to create special compression cases for different file
   types
5. Compression is automagically multi-threaded and cached/backgrounded
   so as to minimally slow down the program (I never "feel" the
   overhead of compression on my btrfs/zsd file system).
5. It's essentially totally reliable

It's particularly easy for a filesystem like btrfs... where you can
use 'zstd' which is both fast and good compression.

I would compare the speed and compression ratio of btrfs with 'zstd'
with the speed and compression ratio of your raw lossless jpg
compression.